Thursday, August 5, 2010

peach blueberry galette

I'm behind with posting all the things I've been making in the last little while - so bear with me while I catch up. When we got the first peaches a couple of weeks ago, I bought a bunch home but they went soft very quickly. So with my new found pastry recipe I made a peach blueberry galette, partly to use up the peaches and I added the blueberries for a few reasons - the peaches didn't fill the galette quite as much as I wanted it to be filled, and I had just read this and I had a big box of fresh blueberries sitting on the counter when I was making the pastry.

I've found my pastry recipe on the web so I will pass it along to you - sweet galette dough from Laura Calder
1 c plus 2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 c butter, diced
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cold water

Put flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated and looks grainy. Add the vanilla and the water and pulse until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll out between parchment sheets to a round of the size you want.

6 peaches, stoned and sliced into eighths
1 c blueberries
1/2 c sugar
4 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp cinnamon

Cut the peaches (skin them if they are very fuzzy), add them to a bowl. Add the sugar, corn starch and cinnamon and stir until blended. Add the blueberries. Add the fruit on top of the pastry round, mounded in the middle. Fold the edges over the fruit, pleating the dough as required. Cut up 2 tbsp butter and dot over the fruit. Bake at 375 deg F for 45 - 50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.

No comments: