Thursday, August 12, 2010

tomato and zucchini tart - the winner!

This summer, it has been my goal, to create a winner tart using zucchini and tomatoes. My start off point has been this tart from last summer from Willi at digginfood. I loved it all last summer. But this summer, with my newfound pastry recipes in hand, I wanted a more grown up tart bursting with flavour. Along the way, I have written about my trials and shared some pictures. And tonight I came up with the winner.

D announced it to be "damn tasty" which is pretty high praise indeed!

First off, I bought a tart pan with a removable bottom. Works like a dream and seems to make the sides of the tart more proportional with the rest of it - what can I say, I was obsessed.

Then I made the pastry - from Kate's French Tomato Tart from David Lebovitz.

1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter (cubed)
Put these three ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine crumbs.
Mix 1 large egg with 2 tbsp cold water and add to the processor. Pulse. If the dough doesn't come together add another tbsp cold water. Once a dough forms, remove the dough to a piece of parchment paper on the counter and roll out a circle to fit your pie/tart pan. Roll off the excess dough using the rolling pin.

Indent the bottom of the tart dough by pushing your fingers into it (like foccacia bread!). Spread 1 tbsp dijon mustard evenly over the tart.

Filling:
2 small - medium zucchini, halved and cut into ~ 1/4" moons
3-4 thickly sliced roma tomatoes or equivalent (I used about 6 campari tomatoes)
~ 100 g goat cheese, crumbled or sliced
parmesan shavings
pistachio olive tapenade (~ 1/2 c)

In a non-stick saute pan, over medium heat, saute the zucchini moons until tender and brown on both sides. Layer the moons into one thick layer over the mustard in the tart. Top with the goat cheese. Layer the tomatoes into a thick layer over the goat cheese. Dab the tapenade over the tomatoes as evenly as possible and then sprinkle some parmesan over the top.

Bake at 400 deg F for 30-35 minutes until the pastry has browned and the parmesan is melted and golden brown. Eat.

Pistachio Olive Tapenade - from Deb at Smitten Kitchen
1/2 c shelled, roasted pistachio nuts
1 c green, pitted olives
5 heaping tsp capers
1 very large garlic clove
pepper
olive oil

Put the nuts, olives, caper, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Grind a good amount of pepper over top. Turn the machine on and slowly pour olive oil into the bowl until the mixture is still somewhat textured but moves around the bowl. Taste and correct seasonings.

I got the idea for using tapenade as a topping to the tart from this post by Molly at Orangette. So I have to say I'm grateful for all the wonderful recipes and ideas out there from all the wonderful people blogging about food because this is delicious - even if I do say so myself.

No comments: